[time-nuts] patents and hobbyist projects (was: Temperature controlled TCVCXO)

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sat May 14 09:56:06 UTC 2016

On Fri, 13 May 2016 19:32:58 -0500
David <davidwhess at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for those.  I went over them pretty carefully and what I am
> proposing is not covered by either although that would not protect me
> from a debilitating patent lawsuit.

I wouldn't worry about patent lawsuits at all unless you intend to
start a multi-million business.

I've been active for over a decade in the extremely patent ridden
field of open source video coding (video encoders and players).
Everything in video coding is patented. For loops, 2D FFT/DCTs,
taking a difference of two values... you name it. Yet, over all
those years, there were very few clashes with companies on
intellectual property, and most of them boiled down on using
some of their trademarked names, more than anything else.

As a hobbyist, you are not a target. For one, patents are about
commercial use only. If you don't sell it, patents don't apply
(this is a bit simplified, but not incorrect). You cannot be
sued for publishing schematics or blueprints either. It's not
infringement to talk about a patent, is it? And last but not
least, you don't have money. Even if someone sued you, they
will not get anything out of it, so it's not worth the truble.

If a company feels like they need to do something, you most
likely will get an email telling you that they don't like
your blog post, or whatever, and that you should take it
offline. If comply, nothing will happen. If you answer back
that you are insisting on your right of free speech, it
is very likely that nothing will happen either. At most
you'll get another email saying that you should really consider it.

			Attila Kinali

--
Reading can seriously damage your ignorance.
		-- unknown