[time-nuts] GENIUS by Stephen Hawking (PBS TV), with 5071A cesium clocks

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri May 20 17:12:42 UTC 2016

Hi

There is a (possibly bogus) story from the early days of GPS:

The Cesium standards were specified with a tuning range of X. That all was fine on earth. The gotcha was
that the frequency change in orbit was a significant percentage of X. Simply put, the guys who did the
spec “didn’t believe” in relativity (or at least didn’t do the math). When this all came up a crash course
in physics was arranged and the spec was changed.

Bob