[time-nuts] Allan

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun May 22 00:52:42 UTC 2016

Fellow time-nuts,

Last week I was at the IFCS conference in New Orleans. There was also
Dr. David W. Allan who was awarded a nice price for his work, on the 50
year anniversary of Allan Variance. I naturally walked up to him,
gratulated him. We also sat down and had a talk, which ended up him
giving me a copy of his book "It's about time", with the nice dedication
in it:
Thanks for your great work. Best Wishes

Now, that is neat.

The book represent his personal take on combining science and religion,
and being a devoted mormon, this is also important to him. The book
covers a bit of both sides.

So, on my way home after two intense weeks in the US, I open up the book
and starts reading it as I wait for the check-in counter to open at
Dulles airport. I read a few pages until I wake up from my slumber.
I read this:

"Many have asked me to describe the Allan variance. The equation
representing it and the meaning of the mathematics behind it are
explained in Chapter 20. A good friend and colleague from Sweden, Magnus
Danielson, has written a detailed description of both the Allan variance
and the modified Allan variancce on Wikipedia."

Now, that's kind words indeed.

I have so many ideas about Allan variance. Bounced one idea with Judah
Levine, who then concluded "You need to publish that!". Yes sir, will do
sir! OK, so I have things to do.

Cheers,
Magnus