[time-nuts] FE-5680A GPS discipline board on sale now

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sat May 21 22:00:19 UTC 2016

You SHOULD never have to write very frequently to the EEPROM.  As long at
the 5680 is connected to the GPS you don't have to write to the EEPROM at
all.  Only time you'd need to write is just before it is disconnected.
Will you do that even three times a week.

The unit that discipline the 5680 would have a "shutdown" button on it,
when pressed it would turn itself off but just before would write the best
EFC value to the EEPROM.   That would likely be the average EFC over the
last several days.  If a 5680 is used in a disconnected hold over mode
you's like it to be programmed with an EFC value that will work best over a
long hold over.  This might not be the same EFC value that was sent to the
5680.

On Sat, May 21, 2016 at 8:37 AM, Nick Sayer via time-nuts <
time-nuts at febo.com> wrote:

> You're right. The EEPROM of concern is the one in the 5680. Since they're
> used, you have no idea how many writes they've already endured (likely a
> low number), and they're quite old.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On May 20, 2016, at 3:20 PM, paul swed <paulswedb at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Mark
> > By todays standards yes. But they were not that great 10 years ago.
> > So I may be crossing wires. I am speaking off the eeprom in the 5680 and
> > think you are speaking to the one in the AVR. That would be of the modern
> > type.
> > Regards
> > Paul
> > WB8TSL
> >
> >> On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 5:31 PM, Mark Sims <holrum at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I think the EEPROM in AVR chips is rated at 100,000 writes.   Several
> >> people have tested them and most found they would survive at least 5
> >> million writes... YMMV, of course.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California