[time-nuts] HP5065A environmental sensitivities

cdelect at juno.com cdelect at juno.com
Sun May 22 15:58:16 UTC 2016

Angus,

The HP 5065A has a fairly open path from atmosphere to the cells as far a
barometric pressure is concerned.
Response is rapid to a change.

The mechanism is "oil-canning" of the windows on the ends of the cell.
Depends on diameter of the cell, thickness of the windows, and stiffness
of the particular glass used. (for a particular gas mix of course)

It is VERY repeatable, and VERY linear.

I have heard that one European observatory routinely tracks the
barometric pressure by watching their 5065A shift.

After seeing Wulf's data I can believe it!

My circuit is eliminating that variable quite nicely. As others have
said, temperature will be a different matter.

I'm currently doing temperature tests and plan to eliminate the major
causes rather than compensate.

Early measurements show as-built to be better than the spec of
1.6X10-12/degree C.

Cheers,

Corby