[time-nuts] Simple solution for disciplining OCXO with 1 PPS

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon May 23 00:22:50 UTC 2016

BNeubig at t-online.de said:
> Hello Fellow time-nuts, I am looking for a simple solution to discipline my
> 10 MHz reference OCXO in my private lab with an 1 PPS signal from a separate
> GPS receiver. I am curious if there is a solution possible without
> programming a microcontroller, as I am an old-fashioned "analogue" guy ;)

There are a couple of things you can try.

Use a simple pot and adjust it by hand.  You will have to run some tests to
see if that is stable enough for your needs.

The basic problem with the normal analog circuit for a PLL is that the time
constant on the filter is way too long to build out of practical parts.  The
software in a micro doesn't need to be very complicated.  (But since it's
free once you have the micro most systems would probably add features beyond
the bare minimum.)  You can probably build something with no software but
using a lot of digital logic.

The key part is the DAC.  There is a tradeoff between how many bits you need,
the range it will cover and the step size.  You can get a reasonable step
size with non-fancy parts if you are willing to sacrifice range.  The reduced
range means you will have to readjust the centering occasionally as things
drift.

I'm not sure that's a practical approach, but if I wanted to play the
no-micro game, that's the direction I would investigate.

Suppose you have a 12 bit DAC connected to the top bits of a 20 bit up/down
counter.  The phase comparator says up or down every second.  It takes 256
counts to bump the bottom bit of the DAC, so that's (handwave) a time
constant of roughly 256 seconds.

I'd probably try it in a micro before I built anything.  :)

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.