[time-nuts] Maser 0.7 nsec jumps solved

EWKehren at aol.com EWKehren at aol.com
Tue May 24 08:39:16 UTC 2016

I like to disagree. In the late 90's I started to work on high efficiency
boat air conditioners for my boat, written up in Power and Motor Yacht
"COOL"  January 2003. To reduce inverter load and eliminate the power of the
relays I  went to zero crossing opto couplers and triacs. Used it also on home
AC systems  in some places eliminating lamp flicker on poorly supplied homes.

In a message dated 5/23/2016 11:11:08 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
AI.egrps+tn at gmail.com writes:

On Sun, May 22,  2016 at 11:15 PM, Jim Palfreyman <jim77742 at gmail.com>
wrote:

As  far as a remedy goes we are going to try a solid state relay that only
>  switches on at 0V in the AC waveform. This should slow the inrush
current,
> and hopefully the magnetic impulse.

If the  load being switched on is inductive, it would be better to switch
the AC  waveform at the voltage peaks, not at 0V.  This might  seem
counter-intuitive, but it's real.  Switching on at the 0V  crossing may
maximize the current pulse through the magnetics.

OTOH,  if the origin of the impulse is mechanical in nature, neither remedy
may  help.

Regards,
Andy