[time-nuts] I thought GPS repeated every 12 hours (-2 minutes)

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed May 25 11:09:12 UTC 2016

Hi

Multipath on GPS normally requires a couple of things:

1) The satellite you are trying to lock on to needs to be obscured. Being below the
local horizon is one normal way for this to happen.

2) The satellite signal needs to be reflected off of something that does not put in enough
dopler to take it out of whatever the doppler correction “stuff” is happy with

3) The signal path length has to be close enough that the normal firmware does not reject
the solution.

4) The reflected signal has to be strong enough to be out of the noise in the normal demodulation
bandwidths. This includes odd things like polarization.

5) The geometry between the objects (sat included) has to hold long enough for it to contribute to
a multi second solution. Anything below a few seconds is normally rejected by the GPSDO firmware.

I’m sure there are a few other qualifiers. Bottom line is that it’s easier to get multi path off of a
stationary object. A shallow angle fixed geometry setup can give you a problem for quite a while.

Bob