[time-nuts] How can I generate a very clean 1 W signal @ 116 MHz ?

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon May 30 15:18:47 UTC 2016

Hi

There are a lot of published circuits for low noise VHF crystal oscillators.  At the offsets you are talking about the
phase noise is mostly a function of simple signal to noise. More power in the crystal == lower noise. You should
be able to do better than -165 dbc/Hz with a little fiddling. Having a EFC that is wide enough to lock to 10 MHz
should not degrade the noise to badly.

Since the crystal is not a big deal at wide offsets, a “buy some and see” approach is by far the lowest cost way
to get the parts to use in the circuit.  Also since vendors change process from month to month, what you buy today
may not be what you get a few months from now. Not a big deal for a one off. Likely a PIA for a production build.

Bob