[time-nuts] How can I generate a very clean 1 W signal @ 116 MHz ?

Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Tue May 31 10:30:54 UTC 2016

On 30 May 2016 17:01, "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard at karlquist.com>
wrote:

> On 5/30/2016 4:06 AM, Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) wrote:

>> I'm wondering what's the best way to generate 116 MHz with very low phase
>> noise. Phase noise at < 20 kHz offset is particularly important, but 200
>
> The "best" way is clearly to use a 116 MHz 5th overtone crystal
> oscillator, which can be locked to 10 MHz with no difficulty.
> I designed hundreds of these sorts of things 40 years ago when
> I worked for Zeta Labs.

Please excuse my ignorance,  but how would one lock a 116 MHz 5th overtone
crystal oscillator to 10 MHz with no difficulty?  Do you have a circuit you
share that would give low phase noise, and if so how low?

>From what I have read here before,  amplifiers degrade the phase noise if
driven to near the 1 dB compression point. So would the final amplifier
need to have a 1dB compression point of 33, 36, 40 dBm?

My next problem would be measuring the phase noise, but that's a different
topic for another day.

Dave.