[time-nuts] Cs tube pics

Michael Wouters michaeljwouters at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 20:42:13 UTC 2016

I worked on a trapped ion frequency standard 20 years ago, a 12.6Ghz Yb
clock. It's still in the lab across from me and looking at it, and the
electronics, I think it is the sort of thing that a physicist might
contemplate building in his/her garage but ...

Building it took about 10 man years of concentrated effort so the time you
would need for a project like this would be the killer, assuming you could
buy the spectroscopic lasers and UHV equipment you needed at a price that
didn't require refinancing your mortgage.

One other vital component is the flywheel oscillator you need to take
advantage of the fabulous stability you now have at hand.We had a cryogenic
sapphire oscillator for our (microwave) clock.

For an optical clock, you're also going to need a frequency comb to get
back into the RF domain.

Cheers
Michael