[time-nuts] Man with too many clocks.

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Nov 3 17:00:50 UTC 2016

Hi

If your TCXO is off by 1 ppm, it will slip 10 cycles per second at 10 MHz.
If it is off by 0.1 ppm it will slip a full cycle at 10 MHz.
If it is off by 0.01 ppm *and* uses some sort of digital compensation, it will hop around.
If the GPS is not sawtooth corrected it will hop by a good fraction of a cycle at 10 MHz
If the GPS is not surveyed in and seeing many satellites, it may hop by more than a cycle at 10 MHz.

Best bet:

Divide the TCXO down to a much lower frequency (< 100 Hz). Use the 5370 to look at the
delta between the GPS pulse and the TCXO output.

Bob