[time-nuts] Thinking outside the box a super reference

Mark Spencer mark at alignedsolutions.com
Thu Nov 3 21:58:52 UTC 2016

On a somewhat related note....

Several years ago I pondering getting a Cs standard.   After considering the performance of my references and my stack of time interval counters I concluded that in practice I could more or less get the level of measurement accuracy I wanted by comparing the "device under test" to a reference and at the same time comparing the reference to several other references.   I wouldn't want to use this technique in a professional setting but for my hobby use I believe it met my needs.

In hindsight though I expect I could have bought a fairly nice Cs unit for the money I sunk into the time interval counters and the various references but that wouldn't have been as much fun.  The wear out aspects of used Cs standards are also a bit of a concern for me.   That being said a few of my time interval counters have also stopped working properly so I seem to have just traded one set of issues for another but I'm considerably more optimistic of being able to repair / re align a couple of my HP5370's than trying to revive a dead Cs standard.

All the best
Mark S