[time-nuts] Thinking outside the box a super reference

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 00:55:50 UTC 2016

It would obviously be larger than a homebrew Cs, but why not a homebrew
Hydrogen Maser Frequency standard?

The commercial Cs units always seemed objects of pure miniaturized hi-tech
materials science magic, while the Hydrogen Masers I've seen seem much
larger-scale\ and more a matter of vacuum plumbing. Obviously the materials
cost for the copper microwave cavity will be very large, and I'm sure
Teflon-coating a quartz chamber is an art, but the pumps and magnets are
very familiar from my years in grad school working with plasma kettles and
mass spectrometers.

Tim N3QE