[time-nuts] Satellite TV messed up, how is GPS time

David I. Emery die at dieconsulting.com
Fri Nov 4 22:43:03 UTC 2016

On Fri, Nov 04, 2016 at 09:58:50PM +0000, Mark Sims wrote:

> I was a local electronics parts store this afternoon and they were
> saying some of the satellite TV internet infrastructure was being
> DDoS'd...  ah, the subtle wonders of a few hundred thousand hacked TV
> cameras yammering down your pipe at the same time.

	Interesting but probably not that likely.

	At least DirecTV is fully capable of doing most things without
any Internet connection at all... maybe not Pay per view or special
stuff like the Sunday Ticket authorizations and data feed (or obviously
video on demand) ... but most everything else

	There ARE lots of feeds of local stations to the uplink
facilities via leased fiber circuits, but I don't think a lot of those
are competing for bandwidth on the open Internet but are closed circuit
switched networks.   There is talk of using VPNs over the Internet but I
think such issues as DDOS attacks have mostly kept that from happening
just yet.

	Most of the cable channels reach the uplink facility via C band
dishes from the cable signal distributions that feed other head ends...

	There HAVE been attempts to deliberately jam cable distribution
satellites... mostly the EIRPs used for distribution signal uplinks
make this a bit difficult, but it has been done.   There are also some
countermeasures in place to help quickly locate and ID rogue uplinks.

	Because the US military and government is a heavy user of
commercial satellite capacity, they maintain monitoring facilities that
keep constant watch for intruders... as do the satellite control
facilities responsible for the operation of the birds.

--
  Dave Emery N1PRE/AE, die at dieconsulting.com  DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass 02493
'For Rent' sign still vainly flapping outside on the weed encrusted pole - in