[time-nuts] Satellite TV messed up, how is GPS time

David I. Emery die at dieconsulting.com
Sat Nov 5 03:52:10 UTC 2016

On Fri, Nov 04, 2016 at 06:53:53PM -0500, David wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Nov 2016 18:43:03 -0400, you wrote:

> >	There HAVE been attempts to deliberately jam cable distribution
> >satellites... mostly the EIRPs used for distribution signal uplinks
> >make this a bit difficult, but it has been done.   There are also some
> >countermeasures in place to help quickly locate and ID rogue uplinks.

> Captain Midnight was the first satellite incident that came to mind
> but I wonder how many others there have been.

	I've heard various numbers (not all that many in NA, more in
other parts of the world) but as you may or may not know, orders of
magnitude more cases of accidental lighting up an uplink pointing at the
wrong satellite, or on the wrong transponder or polarity (or with the
polarity skew wrong) or at the wrong time.

	There is a current upgrade in process to require most uplinks to
carry a DSSS spread spectrum buried carrier ID under the actual
modulation energy  with information in it that can be linked back to an
uplinker phone number and ID and location, either by directly including
that info or by an uplinker ID ESN listed in a protected non public
database kept by the satellite operators and space managers allowing them to
determine who the uplinker is (among their customers).

--
  Dave Emery N1PRE/AE, die at dieconsulting.com  DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass 02493
'For Rent' sign still vainly flapping outside on the weed encrusted pole - in