[time-nuts] Thinking outside the box a super reference

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sat Nov 5 14:17:21 UTC 2016

I think this is all described in the 1992 FCS papers,
but the executive summary is that a direct synthesizer
on 9192.63177 is to be avoided at all costs because
of the danger of it leaking into the CBT cavity.
This is also the reason why you don't multiply up
a subharmonic of this frequency.
It would also have made the synthesizer a lot more
complicated.  We multiplied 10 to 320 and then used
an SRD to get to 9280 and applied a sideband at 87.36
MHz to it.  The 87.36 MHz synthesizer was a phase
locked VCXO using a 5th OT crystal.

It took me a long time for me to sell this to Len Cutler.
It was pretty advanced for 1989.

Rick