[time-nuts] I love the smell of tantalum in the morning

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 5 21:56:33 UTC 2016

Tom's method is what I use when replacing commodity parts that I don't care about salvaging.  Much less chance of damaging anything.   Hack the part apart,  cut the leads on gull wing packages, etc.  Don't waste your time with tweezers,  lifting one end, etc.   I have a very nice set of hot tweezers and almost never use them.

And for DIP packages cut the package free from the leads first...  even though I have a $6000+ vacuum desoldering station,  trying to get all the leads unsoldered cleanly and prying out the chip always risks tearing out a feed through... particularly on multi-layer boards with out thermal isolation vias on power/ground connections.