[time-nuts] I love the smell of tantalum in the morning

Andy ZL3AG zl3ag at radioengineering.com
Sun Nov 6 02:05:00 UTC 2016

Yes. Unless you're grinding it away with a dremel (which I wouldn't recommend as far as chemical dust is concerned), nibbling away with sidecutters would be trying to force the 2 ends of the component apart. That may be stressing the pads they're soldered to, leading to a possible pad lifting at some stage.

Any of the methods mentioned that heat both ends at the same time - allowing the component to be wiped off the board - would have to be the best, stress-wise.