[time-nuts] I love the smell of tantalum in the morning

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 6 22:12:17 UTC 2016

On 11/6/16 10:47 AM, Adrian Godwin wrote:
> You might also want normal cold tweezers to place the part. I'm not sure
> what an orange stick is, around here I'd use a wooden toothpick. Perhaps
> that's the same thing !

An orange stick is a piece of wood about 1/4" in diameter which has been
tapered and then trimmed to a chisel point. I don't know if they were
originally colored orange, or they're made from the wood of orange trees
or what.

A quick google says they're also used for nail art and cuticle pushing,
and are made from orangewood.  I note that orangewood doesn't
necessarily mean "wood from orange trees", which I can't imagine being a
good lumber to process (small diameter, not straight, etc.).

I would guess that they're made from fir or birch or something which
comes in logs and has straight grain - essentially a giant toothpick.

Any way, they are non-magnetic, non conductive (but not an insulator, so
they're ESD safe), a thermal insulator (so the heat on your part isn't
sucked into the tool).

They're also great for pushing a SMD part off the pads gently when the
solder has been liquified.

And for holding copper foil snowflakes when tuning a microwave circuit