[time-nuts] Thermal impact on OCXO

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Mon Nov 7 19:40:37 UTC 2016

On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 17:20:58 +0000 (UTC)
Bob Stewart <bob at evoria.net> wrote:

> There's something interesting on the far right hand side where the
> temperature goes low and stays there.  The DVM value follows it down, but
> then recovers while the temperature stays down.  I'm not sure what to make
> of this.  Either then OCXO is making up for the temperature change by
> increasing the temperature, or the 3456 is compensating for it after the
> fact.  In either case, the EFC seems to only follow the transient
> temperature changes, and doesn't actually track the temperature on the board.

These are most likely caused by temperature gradients due to temperature
changes. Once the temperature is (almost) constant, these differences
equalize and the effect goes away. Where that gradient is and what part
of the circuit it affects is not clear. It could be your circuit,
or it could be the measurement.

At least the measurment looks like that temperature dependence is low
enough that it shouldn't be much of an issue.

			Attila Kinali
--
Malek's Law:
        Any simple idea will be worded in the most complicated way.