[time-nuts] Any reference to many/all ways of measuring frequency?

Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Thu Nov 10 08:17:16 UTC 2016

Is anyone aware of any references to review papers or other sources that
describes a large number of ways of measuring the frequency of oscillators?
Ideally something with lots of pretty pictures,  but that's not essential.
Ideally something that covers various techniques from 50 Hz to light.

Unfortunately I have lost access to the university source I once had that
allowed downloads of almost any scientific paper.  So if you have something
that's not easy to download,  please email it to me.

I was looking to give a talk about frequency measurements to my amateur
radio club. Whilst I am sure that those at the club will only use a
commercial frequency counter,  I thought it sensible to mention a large
number of ways,  as I think that would be interesting to some.

I am not well qualified to do such a talk, but I know more than any others
at my club on this matter.  If anyone who feels that they could give a good
talk on the subject to a radio club in Essex,  please contact me off list.
At least some of it would need to be understandable to those without a
great electronics knowledge.  A talk suitable for a scientific conference
on the topic would not be useful. We can pay reasonable travelling
expenses.

Dr David Kirkby
Managing Director
Kirkby Microwave Ltd
Registered office: Stokes Hall Lodge, Burnham Rd, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3
6DT, United Kingdom
Registered in England and Wales as company number 08914892
http://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/
Tel 07910 441670 / +44 7910 441670 (0900-2100 GMT)