[time-nuts] Nutty time-nuttery with WWVB

Ruslan Nabioullin rnabioullin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 21:52:03 UTC 2016

On 11/10/2016 07:18 AM, Peter Reilley wrote:
> I have a few of those "atomic" clocks that receive WWVB to set the time.
> However since I live on the east coast they may only pick up the signal
> once or twice per year.
>
> Could I implement my own personal WWVB transmitter that would
> be powerful enough to be picked up by the clocks in my house?
> The signal at 60 KHz might be able to be produced directly by some
> sound cards.   With that and a ferrite rod antenna I might get
> reliable time elsewhere in my house outside of my lab.
>
> Has anyone tried this?
>
> Pete.

To be honest, this is very impractical and backward-thinking.  I would
suggest instead upgrading to the Internet-of-things paradigm, replacing
these time-of-day displays with full computers running NTP and connected
to your LAN (Android smartwatches; repurposed old smartphones, tablets,
laptops, etc.; and smartclocks [I'm certain that some Silicon Valley
``genius'' has already come out with such an ``invention'' and the
Chinese are churning out cheap knockoffs]), which will query your home
metrology lab's NTP server(s), and instead using WWVB as an additional
timing signal for diversifying your timing source portfolio (with a good
antenna, of course), if you haven't done so already (though such
products appear to be extremely sparse nowadays, for civilian-minded
users have superficially reasoned that GPS is all that is necessary).

-Ruslan