[time-nuts] Nutty time-nuttery with WWVB

Clint Jay cjaysharp at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 08:14:45 UTC 2016

I thought the same at first, but then I thought a little more, it may not
be time nut standards of accuracy but...

It's possible to buy ESP8266 modules for a couple of pounds, they will run
NTP, if you want to go up market then a Pi Zero.

Hooked up to a cheap DS1307 module or one of the higher stability ones,
then your choice of display, cheap SPI TFT, retro VFD or Nixies, you could
build an NTP synchronised clock for under £10.

Rolling it yourself like that would allow you to negate the security risks
associated with IoT as you'd have control of the security aspects.

On 10 November 2016 at 22:59, Ruslan Nabioullin <rnabioullin at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 11/10/2016 05:46 PM, Tom Van Baak wrote:
>
>> To be honest, this is very impractical and backward-thinking.
>>> I would suggest instead upgrading to the Internet-of-things paradigm,
>>> replacing
>>> these time-of-day displays with full computers running NTP and connected
>>> to your LAN (Android smartwatches; repurposed old smartphones, tablets,
>>> laptops, etc.; and smartclocks
>>>

>> Hi Ruslan,
>>
>> Please tell me this comment is humor or maybe just trolling.
>> Or are you actually serious?
>>

> I am absolutely serious.
>
> -Ruslan

Clint.

*No trees were harmed in the sending of this mail. However, a large number
of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.*