[time-nuts] precision timing pulse

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 16:17:29 UTC 2016

I'm wondering why everyone seems to be assuming a PIC is the right
processor.   Of course it could work for this but I'd select whatever is
the easiest to program and debug.   Those tend to the they little single
board development systems that sell for under $10.  They typically have USB
connections to a computer and don't require any specialized equipment to
program.   The Arduino is the prime example of these although I've moved to
ARM based uP because they can be less expensive with an order of magnitude
better performance and can use the same Arduino IDE and run Arduino
sketches.    The PIC is not so beginner friendly and requires some study
before it can be used.    But if you as said of course a PIC could work,
this is a pretty simple application

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 12:08 PM, David G. McGaw <
david.g.mcgaw at dartmouth.edu> wrote:

> The PIC can easily be programmed to be armed with a switch and stop at a
> particular count, or you can use actual logic - debouncer, gating flip-flop
> and programmable counter!
>
> David N1HAC
>

> On 11/15/16 1:57 PM, Chuck / Judy Burch wrote:
>

>> I'm building a laboratory scintillation counter that uses my HP 5335a
>> counter as a read-out.  The FREQ mode gives only approximate results
>> (maximum gate time is about 5 seconds).  The TOT mode counts pulses for an
>> arbitrary time that can be set using the "external arm input" on the rear
>> panel.  So I need a timing pulse (of either polarity) of known and
>> adjustable width (time).  One way to do this is with a PIC frequency
>> divider taking the counter 10MHz output down to 1 PPS following that with
>> two or three ripple counters to get a 1 - 5 - 10 - 50 ... sequence.  That I
>> understand.
>>
>> How do I get a pulse to start with a push button and then stop for
>> example 500 or 10,000 seconds later?

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California