[time-nuts] precision timing pulse

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 17 04:52:23 UTC 2016

On 11/16/16 7:17 PM, Hal Murray wrote:

> tvb at LeapSecond.com said:
>> Arduino probably uses compiled code, external libraries, and interrupts so
>> that also is a no-no for precise time.
>
> There are two parts to the Arduino ecosystem.  One is low cost hardware.  The
> other is a software package that is easy for non-wizards to use.
>
> I'd be very surprised if somebody hasn't figured out how to call subroutines
> coded in assembly language.

Lots of this around

  If so, you can use their hardware and their
> software environment and write your code like it was running on a bare
> machine as long as you add a wrapper to call it from their environment and
> start your code with a disable interrupts.

ANd many "supported by Arduino environment" hardware platforms have
hardware that can do the timing.. the teensy alluded to before has
hardware timers that are trivially accessible from the Arduino dev
environment, because Paul at PJRC (or other folks, too) has built
APIs/libraries to get access to the capabilities of the chip.

So you can use the "timer0" library, which is software on a vanilla
Arduino, and hardware on the Freescale processor used on the teensy.