[time-nuts] Excel logarithmic function (was Thermal impact on OCXO)

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Nov 18 22:51:55 UTC 2016

Hi

> On Nov 18, 2016, at 4:36 PM, Magnus Danielson <magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Lars,
>
> Now, consider f(t) = a*log(b*t+1), then the derivate is a*b/(b*t+1) and second derivate - a * b^2 / (b*t + 1)^2.
>
> Forming first f'(t) and second f"(t) derivate estimates from data is trivial. Given that we can estimate a and b using
>
> a = - f('t)^2 / f"(t)
>
> b = - f'(t) / (f'(t) * t - a)

> A bit of paper and pen work or you get Maxima to do some work for you.
> I haven't seen how any real estimator of this drift function is implemented,

By far the most common implementation of the equation as an estimator is in factory test of OCXO’s that
are built to the 55310 spec. It also is fairly common to use it on commercial OCXO’s as well. Put another way:
It’s how you answer “Does it meet the 20 year aging spec?” in less than 20 years.

Bob