[time-nuts] How phase stable is rg59 or alternate coax

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Mon Nov 21 19:44:05 UTC 2016

Several years ago I measured the delay of about 80 feet of LMR400
feeding a GPS antenna, much of which was lying on a black shingle roof
in the Georgia sun.  I checked in early afternoon when the sun was
beating, and in the wee hours of the morning, to get the greatest
temperature delta.  My recollection is that the tempco was surprisingly
small -- maybe a couple of nanoseconds.  It was much less than the other
elements of the GPS timing error budget.

I can't find the data right now, but will keep digging.  There's also a
short paper from the early 2000s from Haystack on their measurement of
LMR400 in an environmental chamber.  They came to the same conclusion,
but I can't find that paper either. :-(

I don't know how much different RG58 results would be.

John
----