[time-nuts] Vintage Quartz Crystal Manufacturing

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Nov 26 15:15:41 UTC 2016

Hi

Welcome to eBay …..

I don’t believe those are crystals at all. If you take a look at the markings on the parts
they are labeled “80 K cps”. In other words they are 80 KHz not 80M devices. Looking
at the gap, if there is a crystal in there it’s not obvious that it’s big enough for 80 KHz.

My guess is that they are tank tuning caps for an mechanical MOPA style transmitter.
The size and construction are about right for that sort of thing. Swap one in and the
transmit frequency changes. Number 7 for 80 KHz. Number 8 for 85 KHz. Number 7 for
75 KHz. Just a guess …

Bob