[time-nuts] UCCM arrived

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 06:31:36 UTC 2016

Here is my take on this:  Why worry about a few dB of attenuation in the
cable when you have a 100% blockage problem for half the sky?

With GPS receivers, cable attenuation (within reason) is not important.
What matters is if you can see the satellites or not.  It is more of a
binary on/off kind of thing.   The data is digital, you either get the bits
or not.

So, by my above rule you only need to upgrade the cable if cable
attenuation is such that the signal is close to the receivers sensitivity.
  Even then you can usually find a higher gain antenna.   At some point
after maybe 50 meters of cable you might need to consider low loss cable

Nothing in the setup is more important that having an unobstructed view of
the sky

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California