[time-nuts] Google public NTP service

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Wed Nov 30 21:33:04 UTC 2016

Yo Tom!

On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 13:06:06 -0800
"Tom Van Baak" <tvb at LeapSecond.com> wrote:

> From Gary Miller:
> > You gotta start sometime.  Now is a good time.  This is not the
> > first time Google has done this, and certainly will not be the
> > last.  It had bad consequences last time and they did not learn
> > from that.
>
> This is not the fault of google. The big players will continue to
> innovate and solve timing problems as long as the official scientific
> and political world do nothing.

This is not innovation, this is anarchy.  We have standards that hard
working people have build over decades.  Ignoring the lessons of the past
is a bad thing.  Arbitrarily changing standards is the path to madness.

> May I request that further discussion of this google / NTP / leap
> second issue take place in ntp forums or the LEAPSECS list, and not
> here on time-nuts.

I'll continue to suggest this move to devel at ntpsec.org.  There are many
people on the NTP IETF committes there.

RGDS