[time-nuts] Measuring phase with an HP 3456A?

Bob Albert bob91343 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 1 23:46:25 UTC 2016

I am having trouble following this thread.  I assume we are trying to measure phase noise, but of course the result includes the noise of the local oscillator(s).  Isn't the 3456A a voltmeter?  I have one of those.  In AC mode it has a bandwidth of more than 100 kHz and measures true rms.

Someone please take the time and trouble to explain what is being done here.  At this point I am imagining a mixer and a local oscillator and some unknown source.  Quadrature?  How do you accomplish that?  Doesn't that require a 90 degree phase shift?  With an analog phase shifter, or some more modern scheme?  A diagram would be helpful.  I am interested in this partly because I also want to measure phase noise (I can do it with a communications receiver or a deviation meter, both of which I have), and partly because I feel as though I am being left behind technologically speaking and want to keep up better than I have.

Ever since data streams seem to take less bandwidth than that of the signals whose information they contain, I have been thoroughly confused.  My classic textbooks don't have stuff like this.  When someone talks about quadrature, it looks to me as though they are waving hands in the air, saying some incantations, and then come up with miracles.  I know it works but I surely would love to understand it.
Bob