[time-nuts] crystal notch filter // numbers

Adrian Rus adrian.rus at broadhurst.ro
Mon Oct 3 17:29:16 UTC 2016

Hello,
The setup is the following:
make                        name                                type                        level/attenuation
Tesla [?]                    T284	                               SWR bridge
Rohde & Schwarz     SMIQ 03                            Generator	               +10dBm
Rohde & Schwarz     FSP	13	                       Spectrum Analyzer
Agilent 	               N9355B	                       Power limiter	       -0.98dBm at 10MHz

The notch filter attenuation @10MHz and @10dBm input is the following:
Att [dB]	           delta f [Hz]
90	                        0.0
80	                        0.1
70	                        0.6
60	                        1.6
50	                        4.3
40	                      12.7
30	                      40.6
20	                    131.5
12.76	                    569.2
12.22	                    904.1  [this is the far out attenuation of the setup]

Disclaimer: I am not an advocate of this [notch filter] PN or PN+AN measurement method. I just have the idea of compensating a SWR bridge having on its DUT port an XC by a resistor at its reference port and I was amazed by its simplicity [compared with other notch filter setups]. For the particular XC I have used, the VSWR is not top notch as the XC proved to have some 15ohm series resonance. So, losses given impedance mismatches shall be considered [@ the 12dB far out attenuation of the setup].
I have no deep knowledge about XCs at all and very little about their close in noise [I can extend why, in private emails]. If this setup is useful for somebody, it is fine. If not, it is also, fine. Do not shoot [on] me for posting these findings.
Best regards,
Adrian