[time-nuts] AC line distortion

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Tue Oct 4 07:06:12 UTC 2016

Jeremy wrote:

> The result was about 5%
> distortion for the inverter and 1.5% for the AC line. This got me to
> wondering, we've discussed the AC power line frequency at length but not
> other "qualities" of that "signal.' I was surprised that the AC line had
> so much distortion but it's a subject I've never considered. Has anyone
> in this group looked at this?

The attached image shows the AC mains at my location (orange trace), and
the distortion residual from a THD analyzer (cyan trace).  I think the
distortion was significantly higher than 1.5%, but I don't have the
specific figure handy.  Viewing the mains voltage on a spectrum
analyzer, the harmonics up through and beyond the 20th are all above -50dBc.

Best regards,

Charles