[time-nuts] Need Time Help

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Oct 5 01:52:30 UTC 2016

Hi

If:

1) You are a typical Ham in a home environment
2) All the servers are “out there” on the internet
3) You have any of the normal modems feeding your home

You have a very basic issue in terms of path delay. All the servers you can access
have the *same* asymmetric delay. In that case, no matter how many servers you
add to the ensemble, the situation never gets better. You are always stuck with the
(likely unknown) uplink / downlink delay difference of your modem. Exactly what
that number is depends a *lot* on the modern and the system feeding the modem.
It is *very* possible to see static delay asymmetry well beyond the 5 ms that the OP is after.
On most systems there is also a dynamic asymmetry that is related to loading. That
just makes things harder to work out …..

Bob