[time-nuts] TimeLab

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Oct 10 04:16:45 UTC 2016

tvb at LeapSecond.com said:
> No, not narrow pulses. Do not use the trailing edge of a 1PPS. This is more
> about 1 Hz from a stable frequency standard, not 1PPS from a noisy GPS
> receiver.

I think we are discussing two different things.

Your setup would work if the pulse-under-test is drifting.  Mine won't.

I was trying to inquire about the stability of the pulse width.  If your
reference pulse is known to be stable and is wide enough, you can use the
trailing edge to stop a TIC and the normal/leading edge of your
to-be-measured pulse to start the TIC.  That's just a hack to displace an
edge far enough so that there is no sign reversal on the time between two
pulses when one of them wanders around.  It doesn't require any extra gear.

Your suggestion requires a wide pulse and some software.  None of my GPSDOs
have a wide pulse.  I assume one of your PIC options would do what is needed
if run from the 10 MHz which my GPSDOs do put out.  (Do you have a 15 MHz
option?)

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.