[time-nuts] For those that insist on using switching power supplies

Nick Sayer nsayer at kfu.com
Thu Oct 13 22:25:59 UTC 2016

> On Oct 13, 2016, at 6:05 AM, Van Horn, David <david.vanhorn at backcountryaccess.com> wrote:
>
> To be fair here, phone chargers have almost no requirement to be quiet other than conducted and radiated emissions limits.
> It’s charging a battery.

Not quite. They power the device in question *while* they’re charging the battery. Now, I’ll admit that powering a phone is a much lower bar than powering, say, an audio amplifier, but I’d also say that some of the devices on that page were pumping out way more garbage than even any digital system should have to put up with.

> As a designer of some fairly quiet SMPS systems, this feels like “look how bad a family car this tractor is".

Well, there’s some of that, but the worst offenders were counterfeit devices that were pumping out unreasonable levels. To your analogy, they were the outer shell of a family car with a the engine from an Edsel installed in it without a muffler or any emissions controls fed from an open bucket of gasoline sitting on the passenger’s seat.