[time-nuts] Linux PPS clues?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Oct 20 09:59:21 UTC 2016

From: Attila Kinali

[]
Yes, but in embedded there are huge differences between the various
boards and processors. While an rpi is a great device if you want
to do graphics based stuff, it's a very poor choice for control
and measurment applications, or anything that needs fast I/O
[]

Attila Kinali
=============================

Actually, of the 15 Raspberry Pi cards I have only one is used in a graphics
application.

On the positive side they work very well with external devices for control
and measurement, and have a huge amount of software and hardware support for
a vast range of devices which makes for fast and easy development.  On the
negative side, certainly they are not the fastest of devices, although the
current quad-core RPi3 is capable of handling thousands of messages per
second, and having Ethernet over USB won't give the lowest jitter if
sub-millisecond timing is important.

I will be interested to see what is recommended for a 100 kHz event rate.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk