[time-nuts] Has anybody checked this? GPSDO in kit

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Oct 22 15:26:04 UTC 2016

Hi

> On Oct 22, 2016, at 10:02 AM, Giuseppe Marullo <giuseppe at marullo.it> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I know, I know it is not supposed to be high end stuff(timenutted), but I was looking for a GPS clock and noticed that this could be a cheap GPSDO too:
>
> http://qrp-labs.com/progrock.html
>
> It has a OCXO option, a box, a display(customizable), a GPS and could be probably fitted with a Raspberry Zero for a cheap NTP server too.
>
> Any advice?
> Sorry if this has been already discussed here, didn't find any reference in the ML.
>
> Could it be compared to a Thunderbolt GPSO in terms of performance, how worse it could be?

Unfortunately, it could be *lots* worse (like many orders of magnitude worse). It all depends on which parameter you
are looking at and how much you want to add on to it. Phase noise and second to second stability are two areas that
it is likely to have problems.

> I just need a clean/self-calibrating  10MHz reference to tune HF radios ...seems good enough for the price.

The easy way is to manually calibrate a 10 MHz OCXO to GPS. If you have a scope, it isn’t all that hard.
Total cost is about $10 or so. The net result (free running OCXO) will be much cleaner than a simple GPSDO.

Bob