[time-nuts] eLORAN on the air for 30 days

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Oct 25 23:48:18 UTC 2016

Hi

> On Oct 25, 2016, at 7:30 PM, Magnus Danielson <magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org> wrote:
>
> Charles,
>
> On 10/26/2016 01:10 AM, Charles Steinmetz wrote:
>> Magnus wrote:
>>
>>> It's interesting in that it's clearly not dead yet, rather the opposite.
>>
>> No, it's well and truly dead.  Of the people I know on the political and
>> regulatory sides, not one thinks there is even the slightest possibility
>> of a revival.  The only chance appears to be if, before the final "No"
>> is set in stone, GPS suffered an actual (not hypothetical) breakdown and
>> people died because the military or first responders couldn't do their
>> jobs.
>>
>> In many ways, it's reminiscent of the LightSquared fiasco, which also
>> dragged on and on to its inevitable and universally foreseen (by people
>> in the know) conclusion.
>
> You describe why I say it's clearly not dead yet.
>
> The 26th Jan issue made people jump.
>
> There is a raised awareness that signal redundancy needs to be achieved one way or another. eLoran keeps getting mentioned and is being studies by some.
>
> I still doubt it will get of the ground again.
>
> If it where available, it would help to serve some use. Won't do all the things we need.
>
> I hear both sides mumble. The re-investment is where it probably will fail.

Indeed, there is an enormous amount of money required to add a “backup” timing
system into an already fielded setup. The market forces on things like cell base stations
are pushing them towards less redundancy not more redundancy in timing. Those
economic realities are not going away any time soon. None of the cell carriers are
going to plunk down big money to replace lots of gear unless there is something
forcing them to do it. They are hardly the only network operators who have those
pressures ….

Bob