[time-nuts] Temp/Humidity control systems?

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Thu Oct 27 15:20:23 UTC 2016

On 10/27/2016 11:06 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> This is why a lot of people in costal climates who ventilate their
> basement during summer "to dry out the basement" get the exact
> opposite result:  The air outside is a lot wetter than on the inside.

I learned this myself last summer.  We have a cottage on northern Lake
Michigan that is about 100 feet from the water.  There is a walk-out
basement that gets somewhat damp, though a dehumidifier usually keeps it
under control.  Last summer I opened the cottage later in the season
than usual, and the basement was very clammy.  So I decided to open the
slider doors and turn on a box fan to air things out...

When I came back downstairs a couple of hours later, *standing water*
had condensed on the cold floor tiles!  I had basically been
dehumidifying Lake Michigan.  Lesson learned (and I spent the rest of
the vacation trying to dry things out again).

Thanks for all the other comments in this thread.  I'm absorbing and
will try to summarize back to the group.

John