[time-nuts] Temp/Humidity control systems?

William H. Fite omniryx at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 19:30:08 UTC 2016

NIST-traceable hygrometers are readily available in the $200-$400 range.

Or you can get a couple of airtight boxes of precisely the same volume and
go gravimetric.......................

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 9:43 AM, Ron Bean <time at rbean.users.panix.com>
wrote:

> >* You cannot "feel" absolute humidity, always measure it.
>
> And since this is time-nuts: Measuring humidity accurately is tricky.
> According to people who have tested them, commercial electronic humidity
> sensors, when tested in a lab, have never come anywhere close to the
> accuracy claimed in the data sheet. The best you can hope for is
> consistent readings, not absolute accuracy.
>
> The exception is the "cold mirror" type of sensor, which measures the
> dewpoint by cooling a mirror and bouncing a light off it to sense the
> temperature where dew condenses on it. Those are expensive, and they
> require maintenance to keep the mirror clean.
>
> BTW some of us are more sensitive to humidity than others. I can't tell
> you the RH of a room, but I can tell you when it's too dry for comfort.
> I want it as close to 50% as I can get it without growing mold on the
> walls. Some "experts" claim that 30% is good enough for anyone, but
> they're wrong.

Intelligence has never been proof against stupidity.