[time-nuts] Difference in manufacturing for fundamental tone, 3rd, and 5th overtone crystals

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Oct 28 12:03:53 UTC 2016

Hi

If you look at the mode shapes for the various overtones, their energy
maxima are at different locations on the blank. If you put an electrode on
top of the 3rd overtone energy pattern (and avoid the fundamental pattern)
you will boost the 3rd and reduce the fundamental. You can actually find
examples of this in production.

A more aggressive approach would be to “sort circuit” the fundamental energy
so that the fundamental went down even further. While it can be done, I have
never seen a production example of doing this.

Bob