[time-nuts] Opening an Isotemp OCXO

David davidwhess at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 20:36:14 UTC 2016

I do not think the designer was considering noise at all because tying
the inputs together would not do anything useful.  Emitter resistance
is inversely proportional to emitter current (26/mA) but putting them
in parallel lowers the current through each emitter so the total
emitter resistance stays the same.

Supply current is separate for each TTL gate so by using a single
8-input part, total power it is about half that of a dual 4-input part
and a quarter of a quad 2-input part depending on the exact operating
conditions.  Unused *outputs* should be high for lowest power.

74S30 Single 8-Input 5mA 10mA
74S20 Dual 4-Input 8mA 18mA
74S00 Quad 2-Input 16mA 36mA

One clever design I ran across used the 7420 dual 4-input NAND pinout
but wired the inputs which are pin compatible so the 7400 quad 2-input
pinout would also work.  This allows using a 74x00, 74x20, or 74S120
dual 4-input NAND buffer but it draws even more power.

74S120 Dual 4-Input 18mA 44mA