[time-nuts] our favorite topics

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sat Oct 29 23:31:55 UTC 2016

On Sat, 29 Oct 2016 15:38:33 -0400
Scott Stobbe <scott.j.stobbe at gmail.com> wrote:

> I found Frerking's "Crystal Oscillator Design and Temperature Compensation"
> to be a fruitful read. It's free on the archive,
> https://archive.org/details/CrystalOscillatorDesignTemperatureCompensation .
>
> Are there any recommendations for one or more book(s) that are definitely
> worth skimming through, or reading?

Depends for what. If you are looking for books on crystal oscillators
and how to build them, I would recommend Parzen's book "Design of
Crystal and Other Harmonic Oscillators". It's probably the most complete
treaty I have seen (though i have not completely read it). Rhea's last
book "Discrete Oscillator Design" is definetly also worth a look and
easier written than Parzen's book, but much less complete. Another book
worth considering, though a bit expensiv IMHO, is Cerda's "Understanding
Quartz Crystals and Oscillators". Another current book is Everard's
"Fundamentals of RF Circuit Design: with Low Noise Oscillators".
If you are interested in harmonic oscillators in general, then a look
at Ulrich's and Poddar's book "The Design of Modern Microwave Oscillators
for Wireless Applications" is definitely worth a look. Quite a bit of
it is also applicable to quartz oscillators and it contains together with
"A New and Efficient Method of Designing Low Noise Microwave Oscillators"
(http://synergymwave.com/Articles/a-new-efficient-method-of-designing-low-noise-microwave-oscillators.pdf) the most on how to get oscillator noise
down.

If you have a IEEE account, you can get the older of these books
(and a few othersothers) from the UFFC website:
http://www.ieee-uffc.org/publications/books/index.asp

			Attila Kinali

--
Malek's Law:
        Any simple idea will be worded in the most complicated way.