[time-nuts] theoretical Allan Variance question

Michael Wouters michaeljwouters at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 01:59:09 UTC 2016

Dear Stuart

In a perfect world, your TI measurements would have a uniform
probability distribution function with amplitude 0.5 ns and mean value
0 ns. At least, this is the kind of PDF you would assume for
"resolution error". For this distribution, ADEV is 0.5 ns.

I don't know the HP5334B, perhaps its effective resolution is a bit
poorer than 0.5 ns, which I assume is the displayed resolution ?

BTW, one way to remove instability of the DUTs from this kind of test
is to reference the counter to 5/10 MHz and then do your TI
measurement with the same 5/10 MHz input to each channel of the
counter.

Cheers
Michael