[time-nuts] theoretical Allan Variance question

Anders Wallin anders.e.e.wallin at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 08:04:53 UTC 2016

FWIW this example in AllanTools generates white pm and compares to the
IEEE1139 ADEV formula:
https://github.com/aewallin/allantools/blob/master/examples/ieee1139_white_pm.py

two comments:
1. Theoretical white noise has infinite power, so limiting the RMS to some
value already implies you have limited the measurement bandwidth (f_h in
the formulas)
2. Interestingly my understanding of the phase-meters (Timepod/3120A and/or
DIY USRP SDR) is that they don't measure raw phase of the signal much
better than a 20ps counter. The trick is to measure the phase between
REF/DUT at a high sample-rate, and then dramatically reduce the bandwidth
by low-pass filtering numerically. So an ADEV(1s)<1e-13 (100-fold better
than a typical counter) is not done via some "magic" 100fs
phase-measurement, but instead by doing plain old ~20 ps phase measurements
at a high rate and averaging lots of them together.
I've been playing with an USRP phase-meter and hope to release some
software/results soonish.

Anders
(ITSF2016/Prague next week)

Hi Stu,