[time-nuts] our favorite topics

KA2WEU at aol.com KA2WEU at aol.com
Sun Oct 30 10:22:59 UTC 2016

Good Morning

The oscillator market is extremely completive and a few dB can easily make
a buy or not decission.It is not the non liner spice type analysis but the
non-linear noise analysis that makes the difference. I agree SPICE was
never  meant for non linear noise.

There is a difference if you "just build" on oscillator or want to know
where the limits of physics are . Rhea made the circuits more transparent  but
I find

 Everard's  "Fundamentals of RF Circuit Design: with Low Noise
Oscillators".

infinitely better. These are personal opinions , not gospel .

At the end of the day the winner is the one with the best understanding and
 the best products, no doubt about it .

73 de Ulrich N1UL

In a message dated 10/30/2016 12:29:37 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
dk4xp at arcor.de writes:

Am  30.10.2016 um 01:56 schrieb KA2WEU--- via time-nuts:
> The Parzen book  was on my list (Amazon ), I find these books,  including
> Rhea's  book practically useless as they do not provide the necessary
non
> -linear noise analysis, and do not have real live examples with  test
data.
> Cerda's "Understanding Quartz Crystals and Oscillators book  I have not
seen.

> 73 de Ulrich
I really  do not like to see Rhea dissed this way. Yes, nonlinear sim may
buy  another dB or two,
but in the end one has to stay at least somewhat linear,  lest one builds
an 1/f upconverter.
(and Harbec does  nonlinear.)

Others don't even have their linear basics complete;  everybody talks
loop gain but
nobody shows how you get from your  network analyzer to the correct
answer of a
circuit whose output is  terminated with its own input and whose input is
terminated
with its  own output. It took Rhea to present that on page 3 or so.

And I see a  lot of examples compared to actual measurements, and the
Genesys design  kits simply work. In fact, Rhea's Genesys is the one
simulator  that
saved me most of the time, and that includes LTspice, which says a  lot.

He more or less forced Agilent to buy a competitor from the  market, while
they had their own ADS. (which tries to be everybody's  darling, nothing it
can't do, but it is too complicated if you do not use  it every day.)

>> I found Frerking's "Crystal Oscillator  Design and  Temperature
> Compensation"
>> to be a  fruitful read. It's free on the  archive,

https://archive.org/details/CrystalOscillatorDesignTemperatureCompensation   .

Silly me, I've bought it. But his book on digital radio is much  better.

vy 73 de Gerhard,  DK4XP
time-nuts mailing  list -- time-nuts at febo.com
To unsubscribe, go to
and follow the  instructions there.