[time-nuts] Temp/Humidity control systems?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 17:57:38 UTC 2016

There are people making a lot of money installing heating cooling systems
that take advantage of the Earth's thermal stability.   What they do is dig
a hole the size of a swimming pool and lay out a zig-zag pattern of pipe on
the bottom of the hole then backfill the hole.   Assuming the pipe is
buried deep enough which depends on where you live, the water comping out
of the pip is always about 58F.   In the summer they use the 58F water to
cool the air, in the winter with snow outside 58F water seems almost warm
and ty use it for heating, pre-heating.    If the pipe farm is big enough
you can keep a house comfortable with just a water recirculation pump.

My point here is that if you really want to keep something at constant
temperature what you want is huge amounts of dirt, rock or concrete, not so
much a heater/cooler

A basement is not quite deep enough nor far enough away from heated living
space to be stable.  But I think rather then fighting it, measure the
day/night year round average temperate of the basement room and make THAT
your set point temperature.    This minimizes the temperature difference
and minimizes the amount of work out heater/cooler will have to do.    It
should save money but also reduce the amount of temperature change.     So,
 try using bricks or blocks all around and set the thermostat for about 58F
or whatever the local average is

For something as small as a 10Mhz oscillator I've wanted to try an
experiment where I drill hole drop in the electronic part then fill in the
hole.

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 12:41 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk>
wrote:

> --------
> In message <20161026210517.26c0fd397b1cae5ba9c12def at kinali.ch>, Attila
> Kinali w
> rites:
>
> >Probably the easiest is to get some glass/mineral wool insulation and
> >put it over all the walls, including ceiling and floor. I do not recommend
> >any foam or styropor based insulation as almost all of them are
> inflamable.
> >This should get you into the area of 10-100W/K thermal resistance for your
> >closet (assuming something like 4cm thick insulation gets about 40W/K).
>
> Stop!
>
> Over insulating is a 100% sure-fire way to get unstable temperature inside,
> because it amplifies the consequences of any change in power dissipation.
>
> It is a classic mistake to build a 100mm insulated enclosure inside an
> office-like enviroment and end up having less stable temperature on
> the inside than the outside.
>
> Cinderblocks is a much better material for that scenario, because they
> have both thermal mass and inertia (= heat capacity and heat impedance)
>
> --

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California