[time-nuts] Temp/Humidity control systems?

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Sun Oct 30 18:11:08 UTC 2016

--------
In message <CABbxVHuZLKkWKyYP_v68a+Gk0RNKSW9RO-trv77-c7NdT3WzBA at mail.gmail.com>, Chris Albert
son writes:

>[...] the water comping out of the pipe is always about 58F.

Unless you live close to a volcano or an artesian spring, the
temperature will be exactly the yearly average air-temperature of
your climate.

Precisely how deep you need to dig for stability that varies with
your geology and precipitation, it may be as little as one meter,
it may be as deep as 10 meters.

>My point here is that if you really want to keep something at constant
>temperature what you want is huge amounts of dirt, rock or concrete, not so
>much a heater/cooler

This is certainly true for any passive object, but as soon as we talk
about heat-emitting objects, this no longer holds, and you have to
take thermal conductivity, -capacity and -impendance into account.

If you happen to dig a deep trench anyway, by all means plonk a
PE40 tube down there to run liquid through, but unless you are
*really* dedicated, don't start digging just for constant
temperature.